Thursday, September 10, 2009

Kumamoto, Day 1

The 30 hour trip is finally over! It wasn't as bad as I expected, I got some sleep here and there, and things went fairly smoothly despite my own blunders and fumbling. Didn't miss any flights, didn't get in trouble by security...except at LAX I forgot I had water in my nalgene bottle and the guy had to go dump it out. It was in the middle of the night so that was kind of inimidating. It's no fun being hassled by officers when you're half asleep. Immigration and customs went very smoothly and the guy that checked my baggage at customs here in Japan was very funny and nice. He liked my kitty-chan (Hello Kitty) t-shirt!

So I'm getting settled in and the people here are really nice. I haven't seen any of the legendary giant huntsmen spiders yet, nor any geckos or praying mantises, but I do have a small tree growing through the crack in the cement on my 2nd floor deck, it's kinda cute. There's also a train track that runs right by here and I get to listen to the train every few minutes. I find it quite relaxing actually.

I just came up from playing some video games with some other students that I didn't really meet yet. It was fun at any rate, I'm pretty good at Mario Kart. XD Now off to セブンエレブン (7Eleven) to get yen and buy some dinner!

My futon

tsukue (desk)

My little tree

Las Vegas at night

Las Vegas at night again

fuwa-fuwa kumo-chan

the view from my balcony

another balcony view

see what my tree is growing out of? omoshiroi ne?

7 comments:

  1. Hello!I'm Noriko, your hostfamily.Welcome to Kumamoto☆ Your picture is nice! I want to go to Las Vegas someday, fuwa-fuwa kumo-chan is cute! Did you buy it in Japan? Im really looking forward to see you. I want to know what food you don't like.
    Please tell me☆

    ReplyDelete
  2. Konnichi wa, Noriko-san! I got fuwa-fuwa kumo-chan from a friend back home as a gift since I couldn't bring my real pet tarantulas with me. XD I'm excited to meet you too! Hm..as for food I don't like, I will eat almost anything except onions and peppers. I don't like spicy food unless it's made with horseradish or wasabe. ^_^'

    ReplyDelete
  3. Konbanwa,I'm glad to hear from you☆ Ok! I told my mother about that^^ Recently I'm thinking where you want to go. First day, we're going to go out by car with my mother. Last day,I'm going to show you around the city by bicycle or bus. So if you have any request, please tell me♡ 

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds like so much fun! I think I would like to go to the doubutsuen and maybe shopping somewhere? ^^

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi,Lauren☆That sounds nice!! I also like animals and shopping^^ I know about Kumamoto city as I've been living here since I was 4years. So Kumamoto is my hometown. Before that I was living in Fukuoka,Tokyo for transfer of my father. I have two sisters,oldest is 30years,second is 28years, I'm the youngest. So I'm happy that you come to my house because both of them married!!Oldest sister will come back to Kumamoto this week. So you'll see her,she has been to Utah for study abroad.See you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Lauren♡ I'm Mai;)
    Youur futon is so cuteXD♡♡♡

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad you don't mind the noise for the trains. Other people have found it pretty annoying.

    ReplyDelete