Saturday, October 3, 2009

I've been thinking lately about language barriers. I've been finding it a fun challenge but also a little bit frustrating getting around in Japan. I've had a couple of experiences where shop employees help me out the best they can with the English they know, and for that I am exceedingly grateful. They are catering to my needs, even though I am a guest in this country. Other times, cashiers will ask me or tell me something in Japanese that I hardly understand, and I'm stuck there looking embarrassed and stupid because I don't know what they said. I'm not sure whether to be flattered that they expect me to understand, or to be frustrated with them because I am obviously a foreigner. It's my responsibility to learn the language, and of course I don't expect them to speak English to me. I'm not sure what to do in these sorts of situations while I'm learning Japanese in the meantime. I don't want to make foreigners look bad either. I guess I'm just feeling kind of stupid right now.

1 comment:

  1. I really understand how you feel. I came to Japan not knowing any Japanese so I've had lots of experiences that are similar to what you have described. I would suggest learning Japanese phrases that you can use in situations like that. I can help you if you like. Basically, if you can explain, in Japanese, that you have trouble understanding what people say to you in Japanese I think things will be a lot better. There are some other strategies we can talk about.

    ReplyDelete