Wednesday, April 21, 2010

I'm curious about friendships between opposite genders in Japanese culture. My impression was that girls hung out with other girls and boys hung out with other boys and anything outside of that was grounds for rumors and scandals, however, recent events have proved that wrong and left me slightly confused and just a little bit worried.

At the welcome party, I talked to a first-year male student. We got along well because it seemed like we were into some of the same music. Well, a few days later, he showed up at the dorm unexpectedly and was asking for me. He invited me to go to a CD store downtown on the weekend. I went, and it was fun. It seemed to me like he was just using me to suggest cool new bands, which is totally fine.

I guess I'm just curious how the Japanese students in our class would view a girl and boy hanging out together. Would the assume they were a couple or just friends? Would they think it was weird that I hung out with just one guy and nobody else? What are the cultural norms for this sort of thing?

1 comment:

  1. Actually, I have a video to show in class that relates to this. Whether you call it a "date" or not, ideas about how men and women (or boys and girls) related to each other seem to be changing.

    ReplyDelete