Wednesday, May 12, 2010

If everyone wants to go on the trip to the river, I won't be able to go. I'm trying to save my money and that trip would just be too expensive for me. I would love to go to Minamata, as I've heard from sempai that it's a really fun place to go, and I think it would be a very unique opportunity to study Minamata disease and learn some history directly from the people that lived it. Amakusa is my second choice, but I can't really think of anything interesting there besides the beach and marine animal exhibits.

Other than that, I'd just like to write about things I want to do before I leave Japan. I don't want to return to America with regrets about opportunities that I missed. Last Fall I heard about a restaurant near the edge of town where you could see and feed wild tanuki. Does anyone know where it is? I REALLY want to go there! Any other fun ideas of things I should see or do in Kumamoto before I leave in 2 months?

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I don't have a lot of time so I'll hurry but I really understand what you are saying about the cost and will make sure to keep the cost down.

    In regard to the Tanuki place, I know where you are taking about. Perhaps a group from the class could get together to eat there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought tanuki were just mythological! That sounds so cool, BTW

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nope. :) They are canines, related to foxes and wolves, but they look more like a difference between a raccoon and a small bear. Here's a picture of one- http://pettalestogo.com/tanukiRD.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bad news. The restaurant, 肥後ちゃぼ, seems to have moved but the wild tanuki have not followed. For your information, here's a message that I wrote about the place and posted to Kumamoto-i a while back:

    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/kumamoto-i/message/4622

    Sorry to get your hopes up.

    ReplyDelete